A Dance with Dragons

A wonderful read!!

A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book 5 | [George R. R. Martin]
This book is number 5 in a series, so I guess I would like to recommend you read from the beginning.

A Song of Ice and Fire easily qualifies as the best told story I've ever had the chance to know. Martin's world is just so livid and engaging. The characters - their thoughts and reactions often seem like real people to me - they are that well described! It's a wonderfully detailed world that still doesn't fall into the trap of becoming difficult to comprehend.

I've been enchanted with these books since the first chapters of A Game of Thrones, and have serious doubts I'll ever fall out of love with them. The only downside is that they are really hard to match. After having finished Swords I had trouble finding other books to read, just because I was still so into the world of Martin. They really are something that add to the fantasy-genre and I think they have also been a big part of moving the genre forward.

My recommendation does come with a warning however - especially for this book. It really is dark and full of terrors. Martin paints a picture of a war-torn continent, and he doesn't gloss it over one bit. Reading these books is delving into the darkest sides of humanity there are. At the same time, there is also a glimmer of hope coming through to you via some of the characters. The ones that try to do good, or try to stick with their principals amidst all the horrible things happening. That is what still makes the books not just readable, but brilliant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ikke en sånn som får en lykkelig slutt?

2020 - året det var så mye tid til å lese

Men så må vi ikke glemme bjørnen...