30 Days of Spartacus - Day 22

Day 22- What is your favourite episode?

Oh - I've been waiting to answer this question. It is a bit hard, though, because all the episodes make up a whole even though many of them stand quite well on their own as well.

From Blood & Sand it really was "Party Favours". It really broke my heart, and that was what was so fantastic about it. I don't consider myself a sentimental person, and film / TV-series seldom make me teary-eyed. Seeing the build-up of this episode culminate in Varro's death still makes me fell really bad, though.
The scene with Spartacus being broken up about it and thrashing his cell is also incredibly impactful.

From Gods of the Arena it was simply "The Bitter End". I loved the end to that prequel. Having theorized that Gannicus would surely die at the end, it was such an amazing surprise that he was set free.  A good way for Gannicus to start afresh as well - since Melitta is gone and he doesn't seem able to face Oenomeaus anymore.
The fight at the end looks amazing. My favourite one!
Also this is where we see the source of the enmity between Solonius and Batiatus, and so the pieces began to fall into place.

When it comes to Venegance there was quite a different kind of episode that caught my attention. My other favourites were big on plot - "A Place in this World"  is much more concerned with ideas, life choices and roles.
I love the back-story we get on Oenomaeus and the explanation we get as to his loyalty to the house of Batiatus. Loved seeing Titus Batiatus with a young Quintus in tow.
The story of Oenomaeus works nicely in parallel to the rebel-plot line of this episode. There is Mira starting to question her relationship with Spartacus in light of the comments she gets from newly freed Chadara. I also love Nasir's initial story-line and how he questions the whole idea of Spartacus et al. freeing slaves. Did he want to be freed?
I really liked the series creators contemplating that idea. Hope to actually see more of that in later seasons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ikke en sånn som får en lykkelig slutt?

2020 - året det var så mye tid til å lese

Men så må vi ikke glemme bjørnen...